Delaware is a beautiful state. This is especially true in the summer when many people take advantage of the sandy beaches, boardwalks, restaurants, parks, hiking, and other activities. However, this does not come without a price. As the beach communities bustle with tourists and cars the inevitable result is an increase in auto accidents that lead to personal injury.
According to the Delaware Office of Highway Safety, there were a total of 29,713 crashes in Delaware in 2020. Of these, 2,177 involved alcohol-impaired drivers, and 15,414 resulted in injuries. However, it’s in the summer months when Delaware sees higher rates of car accidents due to increased travel and more people on the roads. This is especially true in beach communities such as Rehoboth Beach, Bethany Beach, Dewey Beach, Fenwick Island, South Bethany Beach, North Bethany Beach, and Lewes Beach.
There are many reasons for the increase in auto accidents and personal injuries during the summer months. They include:
- Increased traffic due to tourists and vacationers
- Poorly maintained roads due to increased wear and tear from the summer season
- Impaired driving due to alcohol or drug use
It’s important to be aware of these factors when traveling in Delaware during the summer months, especially in beach communities. By taking a few simple precautions, you can help ensure your safety and reduce the likelihood of severe injury in an accident. These include:
- Wearing a seat belt at all times
- Being aware of your surroundings and other drivers on the road
- Driving within the speed limit and following traffic laws
- Avoiding distractions such as texting or talking on the phone
- Refraining from drinking and driving.
If you are injured in an auto accident, it’s important to contact a Delaware personal injury attorney as soon as possible for help. An experienced attorney can assist with filing a claim against the at-fault party so that you can be fully compensated for any medical bills or other damages resulting from the accident.
What Do I Do If I Am In A Car Accident?
If you are in an auto accident, the first thing to do is to stay calm and assess any injuries. If you or someone else is injured, call 911 immediately. Once you’ve been able to assess the situation, take photos and exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver. This includes:
- Driver’s name, address, and phone number
- Insurance carrier and policy number
- License plate numbers of all vehicles involved in the accident
- Photos and videos of the accident scene
It’s important to document as much information as possible about the scene of the accident including any witnesses and their names.
You should also contact a Delaware personal injury attorney as soon as possible to discuss your legal rights and options. An experienced lawyer can help you understand the process and ensure that your rights are protected.
In Delaware, if the accident involves injury, death, or property damage of $500 or more, you are required to report the accident to the police within 24 hours. Failure to report an accident may result in fines or other legal consequences. Additionally, Delaware is a “fault” state, meaning that the person who is found to be at fault for the accident is responsible for paying for the damages.
What Will A Personal Injury Attorney Do For Me After A Car Accident?
If you have been involved in a car accident in Delaware, a personal injury lawyer can provide you with legal representation and help you navigate the legal process to seek compensation for your injuries and damages. Here are some of the things a personal injury lawyer can do for you:
- Negotiate with the insurance companies to secure a fair amount of compensation
- Invest the accident, collect evidence, identify any responsible parties
- File legal documents and paperwork on your behalf
- Represent you in court if necessary
- Advise you on the best course of action for your case.
The attorneys at Schmittinger & Rodriguez are experienced in representing clients who have been injured in car accidents and can provide you with the legal advice and representation that you need. We understand that navigating the legal system can be difficult and we are here to help you every step of the way. Contact us today for a free consultation. We look forward to helping you get the compensation you deserve.